Sunday, September 26, 2021

Berlin Marathon 2021

Successful completion of the 47th Berlin Marathon. The day started around 60° at race start but into an hour the temps jumped to 75° as well as humidity. Although I was a bit behind on pace at the half, I thought my 2nd half could be strong. At M17, I charged running down runners but approaching M21 the heat zapped my legs. Both calf muscles and left groin seized up in unison. I stopped for a moment but knew if I didn't get my legs moving, I would never restart them. I adjusted form, I took deeper breaths, and concentrated on "the mile I was in". Although I was not into the 7min pace, I was at least in the lower 8s. I can make the most of this day. Many people started to walk. I wouldn't be one regardless of the pain. I didn't come to Europe to sightsee, I came to RACE. I worked my way to Potsdam only 2miles left. I knew this area since I ran it during the week. Then the Berlin Konzerthaus, one mile. Last corner, in the distance Brandenburg Gate. "Screw it, Let's Go!". I flashed dead-center through columns. The crowd and the energy of fellow runners energized my body to transform in to a flat out sprint . I was four minutes behind goal. It didn't matter. I gave this course everything I had and finished it running hard. Circumstances may hinder you from your goals but sometimes the fight means more then the result.
Final Notes for Berlin (& Marathon Video). This was my 2nd international event, although it’s more like my first considering I used Tokyo Marathon as a running sightseeing tour rather than a race. Preparations. I chose Marathon Travel and Tours (Jeff Adams) company to help me with lodging, entry fees, Covid Testing, important meals (pre-marathon pasta night), touring of Berlin, and miscellaneous purchases (Photo/Video Package). It was probably the smartest thing I did for the trip. They took care of everything while also providing advice on both the Expo and Start/Finish. Flights. Grace (wife) started looking for international flights 2 months prior to departure. We locked into Delta flights since we were members. Most importantly, we used points to upgrade from coach to Sky Priority. We wanted Sky Priority for the extra leg room especially since we were traveling with-in 24 hours of the Marathon. Covid Testing. Although Marathon Tours provided the service. The Expo provide tests as well. These test are important for the flight back home. The requirement at the time was a PCR or Rapid test 3days prior. So If you leave Monday like we did, you would need to get your test on Saturday. If you intend to stay longer, there are facilities in town (in English) to also help, especially near the major hotels (Hilton, Marriot, Hyatt, etc.) RACE DAY My Hotel (Marriott) was only ½ mile from the Participants village (near Brandenburg Gate). There are plenty of port-a-potpies. However, make sure to bring your own bottle of water in case. It was difficult to find the refreshments area. Also, I chose the Poncho; the poncho is not a great souvenir, I would recommend getting a check in bag instead. Even though my hotel was relatively close it might have been better to just change shoes and clothes. The Race
This is a European/international Race. There are NO MILE Markers. It’s all in Km. If you are using a GPS. It does help but the GPS is not as accurate in the city and near taller buildings. Mine and others’ watches read +.20 to +.40 miles off. Mine actually read 26.47miles when I finished with my time being :02 seconds from the actual chip time. Hydration. The first half had refreshment and replenishment areas every 4.5KM (2.5miles). Most American events have stops ever 2miles at the star until M10. However, at the 2nd half here are stops every 2KM (mile). Every other stop has a drink other than water, it’s Tea. I don’t recommend it. It taste awful and it really doesn’t give you the electrolytes like an America Sports Drink (Gatoraid/Poweraid, etc). Recommend carrying four or more salt tablets or some form of electrolyte. A fellow runner I spoke with had a feeling the temps would jump (they went from 60 to 75-80degrees), she carried 8 tablets in a plastic bag to protect it from sweat. Nutrition and Gel. At every other hydration stop they will provide a banana/fruit. The sponsor Gel was Maurten. I carried six Huma packs, the Gel I trained with. I used all of them but picked up 3 Maurten packs as I ran past the table. They were helpful into the last 10K The Finish – SMILE Rounding the corner onto Unter den Linden Strasse toward Brandenburg Gate, the street to the finish is lined with cameras all waiting for you. SMILE. No matter how much it might hurt. Every shot of you will capture that moment. SMILE. Celebrate the moment with what comes to your heart. SMILE. The crowd lines your path, they are cheering you pumping you up to the finish. SMILE. Keep Running, there’s no need to slow down for a picture. The cameras will capture everything. Heck they even have a video for you with 6 different angles of your finish. Make sure you purchase the pre-photo package from SPORTSGRAF and pre-video package from Marathon Photos. The cost doubles after the race. They are part of the SCC registration for the marathon whether you use Marathon Tours or do it on your own. You will be glad you did. The biggest regret had nothing to do with the actual race. I wish we would have spent another day or two in Berlin. It is a beautiful city with so much history. We uncovered just a bit of it but it would have been wonderful to learn and experience more. I hope one day to return for another marathon or even pass by to travel more of Europe. The Berlin Marathon was more than worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment