Wednesday, December 18, 2019

CHICAGO MARATHON by Romadel Delasalas







SHE’S MY RUSHMORE -
A brisk wind breezed between the Chicago skyscrapers on the chilly warmup run.   Marathoners made their way to the Grant Park start line.  My hotel was only few yards across the street.  Careful logistical considerations were set once I received event acceptance in January.  However, serious race training started immediately after a poor 2019 Boston Marathon.  On Patriot’s Day 2019, I carried ten extra pounds leading to disappointing results.  I knew changes needed to occur to the body, heart and mind.  I took my goal 3:05 goal with determined ferocity.   This cool windy Chicago day energized my redemption.


TEMPERING STEEL –
Square One in the plan involved improving the core and losing weight.  Weight loss proved easy without starving or anything faddish.  I maintained disciplined eating through balance, timing and eating more.  I ate more fruits, minimized fats, and ate at times right after a run while the body was still burning calories.  Never full or empty.  Improving the core was as simple, no sit-ups.  Timed front and side planks stabilized my core and back.  Weekly yoga sessions supplemented my flexibility, meditation, and strength training. 
A marathoner must run.  I boosted my mileage from 70 miles per week in May to 80 miles a week in June.  By July and August, my monthly mileage was 360 and 475miles for the months.  Each run accomplished something meaningful while quelling demons and doubts from within.  Discipline on the road mattered most regardless the hour, night or day.  The 4AM run became common-place.  My mind needed to say to itself, “We can do this all day.”

SHARPENING THE SWORD –
Razor sharp blades cut the deepest.   Luckily, I have one of the BEST edge-shapers in Memphis.  Four years working together, Coach Kevin Leathers knew my weaknesses and strengths.  In this cycle, he noticed a higher level of fitness and endurance.  To sharpen the running prowess, emphasis needed to be place on the long run and racing. 
The long run simulated consistent moderate speeds that kept me on my feet for an extended period always on the move, my lungs had limited recovery time.  I preplanned routes and stashed water & fuel along the way, so I’d never need to stop or take a break.  At a point after the halfway, the pace would increase to a fast tempo.  The evolutions took great patience and discipline from a tendency to go fast at the beginning.  If played correctly, the runner should have a lot in the tank at the finish. 
Racing provide me the mental confidence to run with anyone.  Many think a race is a matter of beating competitors.  Truth be told, it’s about being with another person trying to get to the finish line just like you.  I would even train with competitors who would turn out to be great friends such as my Tipton Country Running Friends.  I was learning not to be afraid of other runners since they are running their own race.  I completed nine races after the Boston Marathon placing well.  I faced down my internal demons by facing competitors and friends.  Chicago awaited. 


CHI-TOWN ARRIVAL –
My Mother, Ninang (Filipina Godmother), Grace (wife) and I scheduled our flight arriving early Friday morning to avoid the crowds.  Organizers automated the entire check in.  Upon arriving to the first checkpoint, an attendant scanned my packet pickup barcode sending an instantaneous notification to my pickup location.  Once at the pickup location, two fellows greeted me, “Mr. Delasalas, Your Packet is ready.  Pleases review.” Talk about high speed. 

I didn’t dilly-dally with too many Expo sponsors.  I sought out to speak with my coach at the St. Jude booth talk about the game plan.  He asked what I envisioned.  My entire plan relied on staying behind a pacer and following them to the end.  Coach Kevin responded, “That may work, however, you have to depend on yourself if things go awry.”  He referred to my 2018 New York City Marathon where crowds swept me away from the pacers and I panicked then blew up my pace.  “If you must, make sure to mark time on each of the mile clocks and remember what time you started.  Then go ‘old school’ and calculate your pace.  Be engaged in the moment and THINK.”   


HOLY COW!  IT’S SATURDAY –
My parents attempted the 2017 Boston 5K.  My Mom PR’d (43 minutes) while my father blew out his knee on the first mile requiring me to carry him 2.5 miles to the finish.  This year only my Mom and I took on the Chicago course.  Despite the wind and cold, I remained positive telling my Mother, “It’s going to be okay.  It’s not too cold.  You are going to be Great.”  She was rolling along in beautiful form throughout the entire race despite minor knee discomfort.  Before she knew it, she found herself at Mile 3 running to the finish with new PR of 42minutes!  We celebrated with a nice brunch at the hotel.  Taking my coaches advice, I stayed off my feet for the entire day to watch college football or sleep.  I would only get up into the evening to celebrate Catholic Mass. 

Tucked between tall buildings, St. Peter’s Catholic Church rested in the middle of the Chicago Downtown Loop.  My Mother, ever the churchgoer, settled us at the second row.  At the end of Mass, the Priest asked all marathon participants to the alter for a blessing.  He was surprised to see over 75 runners join him. 
Leaving the church, I noticed Father speaking to man wearing a Bank of America Official’s badge and a Road Racing Club of America (RRCA) sweater.  I introduced myself and told the man I was a registered coach of that organization.  He shook my hand telling me he was the National President of the RRCA, Mr. Mitchell Garner of Michigan.  I mentioned that I certified to give back and volunteer coach.  Moved, he pullout a cloth from his briefcase.  It was an Olympic flag signed by many Olympians including the Great Captain Billy Mills, USMC (Gold Medalist 10,000m Tokyo-1964).   As we left each other, Mr. Garner imparted words of wisdom from Capt. Mills to help inspire me for the marathon.
"Your life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life."



RACE DAY –
Following a great slumber, I woke fresh at 4AM as if it was a normal workout day.  I grabbed a granola bar, took a brisk two-mile run, and returned to dress into my race kit.  I headed to Grant Park at 7AM, I was in Red Wave, Coral B.  The wave gate would close at 7:20.   Once, I figured out the lay of the venue, It was already 7:15, my gate would close in 5minutes and I still had my check-in bag!  I quickly checked in my bag.  Now, I had less than one minute to the gate.  Apparently, ten other runners failed to monitor time like me.  We sprinted to the gate with only 10 seconds left to spare.  Still sprinting, we funneled fast like X-Wing Fighters though the Death Star corridors leading to our corals. 
Once in the corals, I looked for the pacers.   As feared, the pacers were at the very front of the coral and I was at the very back.  Shades of NYC Marathon were repeating.  However, instead of concern, I drew upon Coach Kevin’s advice and game plan.  The strategy involved staying close to goal time (7:03s) for two hours.  Then at the third hour, put the hammer down. 
With a prayer, I crossed the start with glance at the clock reading 7:35AM.  My start was only 5 minutes behind the running clock.  My forearm listed each mile mark time.
GO TIME –
The start itself was magical.  Coral B was only a few yards from the head of a gigantic line.  After crossing the line, runners sped to their pace through a dark quiet tunnel heading to a light.  Once in the sun the intensity of cheers roared with people lining the sidewalks.  Pockets of dead-spots isolated runners at Boston and New York.  Not Chicago, spectators lifted every marathoner to the very end,
My race started slow and I found myself losing time, two to five seconds per mile.  However, I didn’t feel the need to tense.  In fact, my circumstantial running partner amused me.  A Japanese man dressed in a Minnie Mouse outfit (skirt and all).  The crowd would yell out cheers for “MINNIE”!  I chuckled and gestured to the running Minnie.  In those moments, I realized not to take the moment to seriously and enjoy the run. 

Unfortunately, Minnie didn’t run fast enough.  By the 13.1mile (Half) mark, I was a 1.5 minutes behind schedule.  However, I didn't panic.  I kept telling myself, “You are fine, relax, your time will come.”  As luck would have it, Coach Kevin happened to be at the half-way rooting me on.  His presence boosted my morale. 
At mile 17, I threw aside 2 hours of patience and unleashed 7 months of focused energy.  Recalling Jack London’s ‘Credo’ to fit the moment, “Run Like a brilliant blaze.  A superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow. Runners and Spectator alike will know YOU ran this Day!”  I would either become burnt ash or lightning flash at the finish. I took inventory of any pains. Feeling none, I flipped the switch. “Nine miles to make something special.”

THE PUSH –
I felt my speed increase to sub 7’s.  I ran hard the next mile and my watch confirmed my feeling.  Now rolling under 6:50s, I kept the pace going into 20 miles.  My mind fully engaged, my body ran like a finely tuned sports car, and I passed bundles runners.  I was flying fast, relaxed and awake in the moment.
Mile 23 and I'm going for it. I know I have less than 25minutes left of this race.  No sign of leg cramp, stomach pain, chest cave or light-headedness.  No signs of anything that hindered me in past Marathons.  My system in full operational and ready for MAXIMUM EFFORT! 

I flew through Chinatown and gave a quick nod-bow to a temple.  I hit Southside and slapped hands with guy holding a Boom Box.  I cruised through a school zone speed indicator reading 9MPH.  I crossed the bridge headed back into the Chicago Loop, this race was close to over.

THE FINISH - FLY THE ‘W’ –
Leave nothing on the table! Bet everything on you!
Back onto Michigan Avenue toward Grant Park, I knew I had made up the time and more to meet my 3:05 goal. With every step, the euphoria started to seep into me. Full sprint to the finish, I cross the line both fists clenched in my personal victory and let out a WARCRY. The kind the Marines taught me at Officer Candidate School that comes from Chest, Heart and SOUL! I didn't beat a person. I beat internal limitations. I Out-Ran Myself Today.


Sashaying in happiness back to the hotel, I noticed I defeated my pre-race soundtrack of 46 Tracks making it to only 45 songs.  Reaching the front of the hotel, my jubilant family celebrated with me.  My mom gave me a balloon just as she did when I won a 50yrd dash in Catholic Youth Sports as an 8yr old boy.  It was cool then, darn if it wasn't cool today.  I knew I did something very special.  Initial online results read, 3:03:22 (six-minute personal record). 
I reflected on another quote from Capt. Mills.  "The ultimate is not to win, but to reach within the depths of your capabilities and to compete against yourself to the greatest extent possible. When you do that, you have dignity. You have the pride. You can walk about with character and pride no matter in what place you happen to finish."



No comments:

Post a Comment