Friday, May 8, 2020

Final HS Team Track Meet


This was a significant Friday for my HS Track. It was my Final Team Meet of my Senior year (May 8, 1987), 33years ago.
We ran a triple meet (Auburn, JFK, and a Kent school). My usual Sprinting/Relay Teammates were either occupied or unable to participate in any sprinting. That left me and my friend Makota Yoshida (Relay Alternate) as the only varsity experienced sprinters.

I ran fast enough to win the 100m (PR'd with 10.9sec) and won the 200m. In the 4x100, Coach Danforth told me to stay with the 2nd leg. Sophomore Rich Crotty took 1st leg, another Junior had 3rd leg and Makota (anchor). Rich ran very hard but the Kent and Auburn guys were just a bit faster. When the baton was passed to me there was a 10meter gap. I bolted hard towards the rival teams. I had never been this far behind since I dropped the baton Junior year (a race that we won). With a boost of adrenaline, I lasered-in and chewed them up like ghosts in PACMAN giving the team a 5meet lead. Unfortunately, leg 3 and Makota couldn't match the Auburn runners. Fortunately, we beat the Kent guys.
I remember that race and day because of the exhilaration to rip apart the 2nd leg. Coach D told me my split was 10.8sec. I didn’t think my short-stubby Filipino legs could roll that fast.
Meet points for placing were 5-First, 3-Second, and 1-Third. Since I won the 100m and 200m against two schools, I actually earned 20points. The next week Head Coach Ryan told me the I earned the NPSL Track Athlete of the Week because of that meet. It was my last team track meet before League, District and State meets.
Later that month, just 3 days after competing in State (6th place - 4x100), Coach Danforth presented me with the Coaches Award plaque at my Graduation. I'd like to think after 4 years I left in a brilliant blaze. I left that school leaving my heart on the track.
Today, I’m still enjoying the journey. From cold dreariness to hot days, I cherish each step. I enjoy the competition and the challenge of toeing the line against runners of all colors, ethnicities, and genders. We are Comets streaming a path to capture a moment. God How I Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment